President, P Miller Holdings Ltd.
Peter Miller has worked for the oil and gas industry in Calgary, Alberta for the past 35 years holding senior and managerial positions with varying degrees of responsibilities and accountabilities. In 1990, Peter made the decision to establish his own technical communications business which would specialize in writing engineering, environmental, health and safety standards, codes, practices, procedures and workplace rules for oil, gas, and pipeline companies operating in Western Canada (Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba), the United States, in South America, and North Africa.
Peter's technical writing experience (30+ years) has included researching, developing, updating and formatting manuals, handbooks, on-line documents (company intranets), document templates, digital EHS forms, advanced PDF conversions, hard-copy reports, bulletins, and fact sheets in the following areas:
- Engineering specifications/operating practices/standards/contracts (i.e., PEIM Alberta, BC, SK and MB, EPAP measurement, facilities, pipelines, drilling, servicing and completions, etc.).
- Workplace environment, health & safety manuals and worker orientation guides.
- Environmental Management Systems (ISO based), Standards, Codes and Procedures.
- Regulatory compliance manuals/user guides (i.e., AB/BC/SK/MB).
- Emergency Response Management Plans, ICS Forms, and TableTop Exercises.
- EHS Administration (task/process analysis, hazard assessment, risk management, incidents and investigations, committees, meetings, audits, etc.).
Peter's work experience has also included developing workplace EHS manuals and worker orientation guides for companies conducting work in the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and internationally (USA, Algeria and Peru). As well, Peter has prepared proposals for companies working in the Canadian Arctic which included organizing logistical support (i.e., camps, helicopters and fuel caches, etc.) and contacting and interacting with aboriginal groups (i.e., hunters/trappers associations).
Peter is considered an expert and/or proficient in provincial/federal Engineering, Environment, Health & Safety legislation (code and regulations) in:
- Alberta (AB) Environment and Sustainable Resource Development (AESRD) and the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER)
- British Columbia (BC) Oil & Gas Commission (OGC) Guidelines
- Saskatchewan (SK) Ministry of Economy
- Manitoba (MB) Innovation, Energy and Mines (IE&M)
- Industry Recommended Practices (IRPs)
- Other government agencies such as the Workers' Compensation Board
- CSA/ANSI Standards
Peter is extremely knowledgeable of AB, BC, SK and MB government departments, where they are located, and how to access on-line regulations/directives/guidelines/information letters/bulletins, etc. from their websites.
Peter's academic training and education include: a Technical Writing Certificate (Honours) from Southern Alberta Institute of Technology; advanced technical writing courses from the University of Calgary, Continuing Education; a Mapping/Drafting/Surveying Technologist Diploma from British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT); and other technical training and certification from accredited institutions. As well, Peter is considered an expert/proficient in Microsoft Office 2003 and 2010 editions, Microsoft Visio, Adobe CS5 Design Suite (i.e., InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat), and advanced PDF services (i.e., conversions, portfolios, forms, date stamps) as it pertains to document preparation and desktop publishing.
Peter is an effective team player as well as independent specialist. He has experience interacting with groups and individuals at all levels in the organization (senior management, directors, managers, supervisors, engineers, workers, and consultants) as well as with external stakeholders and outside agencies (government representatives, external stakeholders, and printers). He has top notch customer service skills and he not only enjoys working with his current clients but looks forward to meeting and working with new clients.
For the last 23 years, Diane has specialized in technical communications working in the banking and financial services industry, the technology field, and the oil and gas industry in Calgary, Alberta.
For the last 11 years, Diane has provided writing services to the oil and gas industry and her technical writing experience includes formatting and editing:
- Workplace environmental, health, and safety (EH&S) codes of practice, operating practices, site-specific operating procedures, workplace rules, and digital forms
- Corporate EHS governance, policies, and standards
- EH&S manuals, handbooks, training guides, and orientation booklets
- Regulatory compliance guidelines
- Engineering specifications (pressure equipment, measurement)
- Reports, letters, project quotes, and proposals
- Other oilfield-related documentation projects (circulars, bulletins, fact sheets)
In addition, Diane's technical writing experience has included researching, developing, editing, and updating financial (banking, accounting, and investment) operational and procedural manuals for Alberta credit unions (13 years), as well as developing the Ethical Funds Investment Manual for participating credit unions across Canada. She has also prepared investment, trading, and accounting user guides for a treasury solution software technology firm.
Teamwork has played an important part in Diane's working career and she realizes the importance of working independently as well as being part of a team. Diane accepts the responsibility and accountability to ensure her individual work tasks to achieve team goals are completed in a timely manner. Irrespective of whether leading or following, team members can always count on her to "walk the talk" and/or "do her share of the work."
Diane's academic training and education include: a Bachelor of Commerce Degree with a major in Organizational Behaviour and Design, an Associate Diploma in Business Administration with a major in Personnel Administration, a Certificate in Technical Writing, and other technical training and certification from accredited institutions. As well, Diane is proficient in Office Word 2003 and 2010 editions and has a sound working knowledge of Adobe PDF, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.